Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Monday, January 13, 2014

Save-King Cobra drive goes to schools

Range forest officers, snake rescuers, forest watchers and guards from the Western Ghats took a vow on Sunday: To educate students and locals on the need to conserve King Cobras, and to save them from extinction due to killing and other illegal activities.


BB Mallesha, director, Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve, directed officials attending a two-day workshop on conservation of King Cobras to visit schools and colleges in their respective areas and spread the good word.



Western Ghats has the highest density of the venomous snake in the country.



P Gowrishankar of Kalinga Foundation trained 30-odd range forest officers and a number of forest guards and snake rescuers to catch the reptile, and provide first aid in case of snake bite. They were provided with cobra hooks, bags to catch the slithering snakes, snake bagger and a book.



UD Naik, assistant conservator of forest, Dandeli, told TOI that the department regularly gets calls from residents when snakes come visiting their homes. "We didn't have enough rescuers in the department and had to depend on locals. The training has helped us get department officials to catch snakes.''



S Balakrishna, ACF, Anashi range forest, said he will use his trained staff not only to rescue King Cobras but also educate locals on their conservation through posters and school visits.



ND Reshma, forest watcher, Anshi range, felt there's a need to educate people on conservation of King Cobras. "The training has helped me understand the lifestyle of these reptiles and how to catch them.''
An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:

1 comment: